Monday, August 31, 2015

AUGUST LESSONS



There's something about August that forces one to pause... reflect... take stock. I'm not sure if it's the weather or the residual feelings that are ingrained in the subconscious of every former student, but somehow as the month begins to wain so to does the passage of time. By the last week of the month, the viscosity of life seems almost unbearable, suffocating even. It's no surprise that this time of year is the most challenging for a gardener (at least in my own limited experience).

At this point in the season all the garden's flaws seem to be front and center as most of the garden is in a not so graceful transitional phase, with many of the summer plants looking heat weary and worn, and the fall chorus still getting warmed up (or in this case cooled down). While fall still holds latent potential, much of the garden is past its prime and the sometimes harsh contrast between your own over-inflated expectations and the reality of what's in front of you can be a real downer. As unpleasant as this post summer reality might be, its an unavoidable, but necessary part of of having a garden. It prompts an efficiency and pragmatism that relentlessly pushes the design forward. This has been especially true of my recent endeavor, still in its infancy.

So rather than simply dwell on the negative, I thought I'd share some of my lessons by highlighting a few of the plants that surprised me... or will hopefully surprise me this year (both the good and the bad):


1. THOU SHALL KNOW THINE PLANT(S).


Liatris pyanostacha - Prairie Blazing Star
Zones 3-9
This is a great instance of not fully understanding a plant's unique qualities and attributes prior to using it in the garden, and then being dissapointed when the plant behaves exactly as it should. I had read repeatedly that this species of Liatris excelled in clay (which it obviously does). And of course, rather than investigating the plant any further, I immediately dropped the research part of getting to know the plant and left the rest up to my imagination. If I had actually followed up, even a little bit, I would have discovered that L. pyanostacha is the gangly monster of the genus. By the time they actually get around to flowering (at least in a heavier, fairly moist soil) the garden looks a bit like it's being invaded by a swarm of giant fuzzy purple caterpillars, creeping along the ground and on top of whatever poor neighbor they've happened to topple over on. Had I been a proper gardener and done my homework, I would have realized that when grown in a richer soil this species needs support from sturdier neighbors just as it does in it's prairie home (I'm gonna try interplanting it with either Boltonia asteroides, Agastache foeniculum, or Doellingeria umbellata. Haven't quite made up my mind just yet).
Purchase from: Agrecol, Almost Eden, Everwilde Farms, Forest Keeling, Hoffie Nursery, Ion Exchange, Lazy S'S Farm, Outback Nursery, Niche Gardens, Morning Sky Greenery, Prairie Moon, Prairie Nursery, Shooting Star Nursery, Spence Nursery

2. THOU SHALL PRESCRIBE TO A STRICT GARDENING DOGMA... THEN ACCEPT THAT ALL WHO ADHERE TO DOGMA OF ANY SORT ARE FOOLS AND FANATICS... BUT MAINLY JUST FOOLS.
There are 2 things I swore I'd never do: 1.) bother with any "non-indigenous" plants, and 2.) plant an annual. But, after dealing with voracious deer, water-logged clayey soil, salt, and biting winter winds howling off the Atlantic I've gone with a more "if it grows and doesn't get eaten I grow more of it" mentality. I might be over-simplifying just a bit, but I've been willing to bend my principles as of late (cautiously as always), but bend them none the less.


Salvia uliginosa - Bog Sage
Zones (6)7-10, surprisingly cold hardy for a Brazilian native
This tender perennial sage (that despite it's name, doesn't actually require a boggy soil) finally won me over with its long airy spires of true blue flowers. It's only been in the ground a little over a month now, but I'm already in love. At the very least (even if it doesn't come back) I'll be planting it in droves around the plants the deer favor, as it's pretty pungent, even for a sage. Pretty sure it would deter even the most determined of those perpetually munching herbivores.
Purchase from: Accents for Home and Garden, Avant Gardens, Colonial Creek Farm, Digging Dog, Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek, Joy Creek, Lazy S'S Farm, Plant Delights, Putnam Hill, Vincent Gardens


Salvia nutans - Nodding Sage
Zones 3-9. I've also seen a few 6-10, but given its natural range 3-9 is more likely.
Guess I'm just a softy for those damn sages (the deer resistant thing doesn't hurt either). I'll be planting a pair of these in the highest and driest part of the garden to see if they make it through the winter. If they live up to the hype and survive, the texture and movement this species simply can't be beat.
Purchase from: Flowers by the Sea

3. THOU SHALL EMBRACE SERENDIPITY, YET ALSO ACCEPT THINE HAND OF LADY REALITY WHILST SHE SLAPPEST THOU ACROSS THE FACE.

Doellingeria umbellata (syn. Aster umbellatus) - Flat-topped White Aster
Zones 3-8
I accidentally collected the seed of this species while attempting to collect both Symphyotrichum laeve and Symphyotrichum prenanthoides. As it turns out the deer love both S. laeve and S. prenanthoides, but seem to totally avoid Doellingeria umbellata. I've now planted this (previously unknown to me) aster in with the other 2 species to act as a deer deterrent. Not the showiest species, but pretty 'nough with clean dark green foliage all season to boot.
Purchase from: American Meadows, Everwilde Farms, Morning Sky Greenery, Prairie Moon

4. THOU SHALL BREATHE.

Magnolia virginiana - Sweetbay Magnolia
Zones 5-9
While Sweetbay Magnolia may be a rather ubiquitous small landscape tree south of New England, many of the more cold hardy cultivars have yet to be fully utilized up north. I've taken some initiative by taking cuttings of northern stock material given that the more cold hardy cultivars (mainly 'Henry Hicks', 'Ned's Northern Belle' and 'Moonglow' aka 'Jim Wilson') aren't readily available in the north (go figure). Despite almost losing everything at one point, I now have a least 4 rooted cuttings that I'll hopefully be harvesting seed off of in a few years to spread around the property and neighboring swamps.
Purchase from: Beaver Creek, Briggs Forest Farm, Kelly Nursery, Gardensoyvey, Pleasant Run, Sooner Plant Farm, Southeastern Natives, Spring Meadow, Tankard Nurseries

No comments:

Post a Comment