Monday, July 13, 2015

RASPBERRIES, LOTS AND LOTS OF RASPBERRIES



I'm not in denial anymore. I know the likelihood of any of my little breeding projects actually producing anything viable, never mind any individuals with some garden worthy traits is pretty damn unlikely. Commercial breeders grow thousands upon thousands of plants to find that one winning individual that ends up at your local garden center (or your local farmer's field). But since I'm by no means an expert I'll let you get a bit of a lesson from this enthusiastic terma-breeder (get it? like termninator, except breeder... cause of the German thing... its probably not a good sign when your own jokes make you sad).



As far as pure numbers go there's no way the home gardener can come anywhere's near close, unless you have your own personal working farm with lots and lots of cheap and over-educated labor (which there is actually a lot of these days... so maybe if you have some surplus land and some spare change you could give professional plant breeding a try). But as much as I'm finally being realistic as far as my own limitations are concerned (well kinda realistic-ish, at least compared to my usual standards), this doesn't mean I've lost faith in the potential of the plants I'm working with. On the contrary, while I might be deluding myself, I feel like what home breeders lack in numbers, they can make up for in strategic crosses, exploiting the untapped and under-appreciated diversity within the genus they're working with.

If anything I've only gotten more excited, particularly with the main group of plants I've started working with, Rubus spp., aka raspberries and blackberries. This group becomes even more relevant when you consider the current trend of "patio edibles" (compact plants that do double duty as both ornamentals and productive edibles for the home landscape). Aside from this cosmopolitan genus's general aggressiveness there are many species within this group that have traits that lend themselves really, really well to the garden, mainly relatively big rose-like flowers (to which family they belong), delicious fruit (that freezes really well and is the main component of most of my smoothies!!!), and at least semi-ornamental foliage. Thought I'd use this post to highlight several of the species I'm working with, as well as a few other that hold some untapped potential. Viva la RUBUS!!!


SHRUBBY RUBUS SPP.


Rubus deliciosus syn. Oreobatus deliciosus - Rocky Mountain Raspberry or Boulder Raspberry
Zones 5-9, although I was only able to find 2 sources and one of them said 3
This super showy western North American species has been largely overlooked by the horticultral industry in the states. But of course, as the UK generally does with our underappciated natives, has given the plant it's proper horticultural due by crossing it with a closely related Mexican species (R. trilobus) to produce a popular ornamental across the pond, Rubus x tridel 'Benenden'.
Purchase from: Forest Farm, Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery



Rubus odoratus - Flowering Raspberry
Zones 3-8
Still humming away underneath the radar, this is one of our native shrubs that deserves much wider use in those in between trouble spots, especially in the northeast. STOP USING RHODIES!!!! Use this instead.
Purchase from: Amanda's Garden, Forest Farm, Keeping it Green Nursery, Lazys's Farm, Long Island Natives, White Oak Nursery, Shooting Star Nursery, Wild Ridge Plants, Yellow Springs Farm



Rubus parviflorus - Thimbleberry or White Flowering Raspberry
Zones 3-?9? (I've seen a lot of sources list 9, but since it seems most of the material out there is from the pacific northwest, I can't imagine it would do well much past 7 in the east)
A more refined, slightly more elegant, white flowered version of R. odoratus. While R. odoratus is native to the Northeastern US, R. parviflorus is native to the Pacific Northwest (down to northern California) as well as disjunct populations in the Great Lakes region. The red pedicles, simple white flowers and large crisp green leaves remind me a bit of Geranium macrorrhizum var .album on steroids.
Purchase from: Burnt Ridge Nursery, California Native Nursery, California Native Plants
and Habitat Enhancement Services
, Las Pilitas Nursery, Out Back Nursery, Mostly Native Nursery, Rolling River Nursery, Seven Oaks Native Nursery, Wood Brook Native Plant Nursery, *Villager Nursery
*This nursery offers a pink form.



Rubus spectabilis - Salmonberry
Zones 5-8 (although none of the sources I found had a consistent zone range)
One of the tallest species in the Rubus clan, this guy can reach well over 12 ft and fills a similar niche in the pacific northwest as flowering currant, flowering early to attract the first hummers of the season. Despite its stature, based on very superficial observations this species seems more closely allied to R. articus, so I'm not quite sure how to categorize its genetics as far as future breeding work and what it has to offer.
Purchase from: Forest Farm, Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery, Fourth Corner Nurseries, Rain Tree Nursery, Seven Oaks Native Nursery, Yerba Buena Nursery



Rubus x fraseri - Fraser's Raspberry
Zones: ?
A documented hybrid in the UK between R. parviflorus and R. odoratus, and perhaps the queen of the genus. I'm hoping my attempt to cross the two parents of this beauty will be the first of my breeding projects to prove "fruitful" (I have found no source for the hybrid, only confirmation that it's happened, with the pictures to prove it). I'm Hoping to gradually select a seed strain adapted to the northeast that combines the best of both's it's parents. Currently the R. parviflorus material I've obtained has been flower shy, and fairly weak growing, most likely due to its pacific northwest origin (see image below, R. parvilforus is half the size of R. odoratus and a brighter, almost chartruese green). I'm hoping at some point to obtain (hopefully) more heat/drought tolerant material of R. parviflorus from disjunct populations of the species from the Great Lakes region.
Purchase from: ?




GROUNDCOVER RUBUS SPP.


Rubus articus - Artic Raspberry or Arctic Bramble
Zones 2-7, have also seen 1-5
A circumboreal species. The European species was crossed with the western north american subspecies Rubus arcticus subsp. stellatus to get most of the named varieties available in the horticultural trade in the U.S.. All progeny from these crosses are referred to as Rubus x stellarcticus.
Purchase from: KORE Wild Fruit Nursery, Peuraniemi Nursery



Rubus chamaemorus - Cloudberry or Bake Apple
Zones 2(1)-7, guessing
Another circumboreal species. The fruit of this plant actually makes up a substantial part of the economy of northern Scandanavia.
Purchase from: Pacific Rim Native Plant Nursery, Peuraniemi Nursery



Rubus flagellaris - Northern Dewberry
Zones 3-8, guessing
Abundant in the fields and roadsides of where I grew up. Generally prostrate, adaptable and aggressive.
Purchase from: Earth Tones, Possibility Place Nursery



Rubus hispidus - Swamp Dewberry or Bristly Dewberry
Zones 3-7
Purchase from: Out Back Nursery, Shooting Star Nursery


Rubus pubescens - Dwarf Red Blackberry or Dwarf Raspberry
Zones 3-7, guessing
Purchase from: Alpha Nursery, BotanyCa, Prairie Restoration, Inc., Grand Moraine Growers


Rubus lasiococcus - Roughfruit Berry or Dwarf Bramble
Zones ?
A cute little diminutive species from the pacific northwest.
Purchase from: California Flora Nursery, Cornflower Farm

And to conclude my Rubus ridiculousness I leave you with this guy. Your welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, really interesting blog. I'm also a self-confessed plant geek living in Inverness in Scotland. I'm fascinated with the genus Rubus and have a number of species and varieties in my garden. I've been attempting to hybridise them over the past few years with no success at all until this last year when a cross I made between a red raspberry variety called 'Polka' and Rubus phoenicolasius (as the pollen parent) appears to have worked! Out of 72 seeds sown, a single one has so far germinated and is showing characters of the wineberry. I know this cross has been used by plant breeders before but as it's my first success in hybridising I'm rather pleased! This year I'm hopefull that I've been successful with crosses R phoenicolasius x R arcticus, R bambusarum x R pentalobus and R ludwigii x R illecebrosus as I think I've finally perfected my pollination procedures and techniques. Because of the issues around importing live plants I've been trying to get seeds of some North American species, and particularly R lasiococcus and R hispidus, for some time but with no luck - I just can't find a supplier or anyone willing to send me some. I don't suppose yours have fruited this year have they? If they have would you be willing to send me a small number of seeds? Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading about your hybridising attempts. Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Ian!!! Sorry for the delayed response. First off, I'm jealous. Secondly, congratulations!!! Unfortunately, with most of my energy and time going to getting my first grown-up garden off the ground (or in this case very much in it) my own breeding projects ended up getting a bit neglected this season (although I did make some minor progress which will hopefully result in some seeds next season).

      Anyway I'd be more than happy to help however I can, but a few things:
      1. BAD NEWS: I'm on the east (Atlantic) coast here in the US, and R. lasiococcus is a west (Pacific) coast plant. While I don't have ready access to this species I can try ordering it and see if I can get some seed for you, but unfortunately most west coast plants languish here in our summer heat and humidity, but I could always give it a try and see what happens.
      2. GOOD NEWS: R. hisidus grows wild where I garden and while I think most of the berries are long gone at this point (I'll double check for you this weekend), I can definitely get you some seed next season at the very worst.

      I don't know much about the legality of shipping plants internationally, so you'll have to fill me in (I'm assuming the laws are fairly strict, as they should be). Feel free to email me: jkubik5@gmail.com. I would love to hear more about your methods so I can hopefully have a success story of my own. Best of luck! :)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Getting into growing rubus species. You should join us on the open source plant breeding forum! (OSSI).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had any success yet of hybridizing R. Odoratus and R. Parviflorus like you planned?

    I'm planning a breeding project revolving around R. delicious and R. neomexicanus and other ones in their subgenus.

    ReplyDelete